Sunday, April 6, 2008

State Science Olympiad Competition

I didn’t write about the state Science Olympiad competition last week I will write about it this week. So last Saturday was the state competition at Weber State University. I had three events to compete in: Electric Vehicle, Food Chemistry, and Chemistry Lab. First for Electric Vehicle I had to build a car that I could adjust to run between five and ten meters. It had to start with the push of a button and stop by itself at the target distance. I spent about five hours every Saturday morning for six or so weeks building it, and forever trying to figure out how to work it. Next is Food Chemistry. I had to prepare and study for testing certain foods for certain elements or ingredients. I have competed on this event for the past two years and this was my third. This year I had to determine the amount of energy in two different kinds of nuts. You do that by burning the nut and weighing it before and after and finding the difference. It’s kind of easy if you know what you are doing. Then second was my hardest event. It was Chemistry lab. For this even I got thrown on it a little while before the competition. Mr. E called my house and asked if I would do it. I told him no and he said “Too bad” so I got stuck doing it anyway. I went to one practice and it was really really hard. Luckily my partner was able to make it to most practices and knew what he was doing. For the event we had to do a bunch of experiments on a bunch of different things. I don’t know anymore about it. I just did what my partner told me to do. So those were all my events. After I competed we had a little bit of waiting to do before the awards ceremony that night. My family went to The Pie for lunch and then went ice-skating ate the Ogden Ice Sheet. We saw this poor old um… rather large lady skating. As she seemed like she was finally getting used to the ice and stuff she fell down and hit her head on the ice. She just laid there for a long not moving before a bunch of people came over and helped her up and off the ice skating rink. She didn’t look so good. After she got back to the lobby she just sat and laid on a bench for a long time moaning and holding and ice back to the back of her head. When we got tired of skating we went over to the hospital café and got milkshakes. Now that may sound weird that we would go to the hospital for ice cream but we do it all the time. First of all the shakes are really big, really cheap, and the ice cream is from Farr’s. I got a peanut butter shake. It was the best. After my family polished of our shakes we went back over to Weber State for the awards ceremony. I ended up taking 3rd in the state out of all the High Schoolers in Utah for the Electric Vehicle. I won $25 and a $200 scholarship. It was a fun day. It will be my last for Jr. High and most likely my last forever. It’s been fun though. Thanks to everyone who helped my in my three years of competing!

1 comment:

Panda Girl said...

WOW! You got 3rd in Electric Vehicle for High School! That's waaay good!!! Congrats!
So you're not going to do Science Olympiad anymore? (Are you going to LHS?) If you are, you should do it there... maybe we could try to beat DHS... unless you're going to DHS...