Sunday, October 7, 2007

"To spend or not to spend....that is the question."

So once again I have now idea what to write about so I guess I will tell you about my week. Well I guess that I didn’t have much of an exciting week, I really didn’t do much. Lets see… I went to one of my brothers soccer games, I reffed three soccer games and mowed two lawns in the rain Friday after school. (That’s what I do for my job) Well other then that I did nothing. I ate out this week at Applebee’s and The Pie. Well if you didn’t notice im just talking hoping to find something interesting to write about. But its obviously not working. But look I just used word count and have 120 words! So I guess im getting somewhere. Ah just thought of something. When I was reading through what I wrote I read over the part about reffing and me mowing and how that’s my job. Then I though about this, “Do you get to spend the money you earn or do you have to put it in the bank and save it?” Here I am making all this money and my parents wont let me buy anything they make me save all of it. I put $415 dollars in the bank yesterday! And whenever I put money in the bank they wont let me take any of it out, I just never see it again. I get in the same argument with them every time I decide I want to buy something. I see a point in saving money especially when college isn’t really that far away and I will have my drivers license in less then a year, since the cost of gas and insurance keeps going up. So at one time we had and agreement where I could spend $25 dollars for every $100 I put in the bank. Which worked out just fine when I am making a lot of money. But I only made one purchase before they decided that that didn’t work either. But now as I got older I’ve thought about all the stuff I want and they are actually letting me buy some of them. Like I wanted a new bike they said I could buy it and so I picked one out and they said that they would even pay for half of it. I wondered why did they let me buy half of that when my half was A LOT of money. I mean much more than double anything else I ever wanted. But then I realized all the things I wanted before were just like video games and other pointless things that I wanted then but probably would never use again. Kinda like those Christmas presents that you want so bad then you get it and love it…for about the first month, then you all know what happens after that because I know that it has happened to everybody at least once. So I have kindaa drifted off topic but at least you know about my saving (or is it spending?) dilemma. And if you have made it this far in reading my blog please comment and tell me what your parents policy of spending or saving is. Or maybe you don’t have a policy and can spend all you want, or just don’t make any money so you don’t get things. Or maybe you are just rich and ask your parents for anything you want and they buy it for you.

4 comments:

MRT said...

I can't remember what my parents' policy was, but I know what my policy is with my kids: SAVE EVERYTHING SO YOU WON'T BE POOR!!! Just kidding. I think kids should get to spend some of the money they earn, but (as you seem to realize), a lot of the things kids spend money on are fleeting and satisfying only for a short time. Ten years from now when you need a couple thousand dollars to pay tuition or put a down payment on a car, you'll be glad you had to save some. (But I'm curious to hear what others have to say on this too because my kids sometimes say I am unreasonable.)

Lots of Keys said...

My ways of making money are different. I occasionally get five dollars when it's my turn to mow the lawn, but that doesn't give me enough money for anything but a few drinks. Saving it is almost worthless because 60 dollars a year, minus winter, making it like 45 dollars a year, is almost useless. So yeah....

Anonymous said...

I know, my parents aren't unreasonable(according to them, not me) but it stinks when you want to get something and they want you to put it all in your bank account! It is so ANNOYING!

Soccer Dude said...

Well you know my parents and they have put me in pretty close to the same situarion you are in, I put in 100$ the other day, and will never see all that hard earned money again eather. But hay look on the bright side as you said in the your blog, maybe in a few years it will actolly pay off. I know the few games my parents have let me get are now sitting on the shelf just getting dusty cuz I dont play them anymore.