Sunday, December 2, 2007

It Snowed!

Wow I can’t believe it is almost Christmas. Weird. I can’t believe it snowed, so much too. Weird. I don’t know if I like the snow though it’s kind of nice for a change. I think if it’s going to be cold it should just snow. I don’t want it to look nice and warm outside but when you go out and feel its really 15 degrees that’s the worst. So anyway changing the subject from weather. Last term I entered and essay contest for the assignment of this class. I had no intentions of winning at all. I wrote it in like five minutes at 12:30 at night because I was tired and wanted to go to bed. So I kind of just threw something together to get it done. Well it turns out that they accepted my essay to be published in a book. So here is my essay, what’s going to be published in the book.

School Lunch
Sometimes I think that School lunch is terrible. I think that it is a waste of money and even sometimes a waste of time. Sometimes I like the food the serve in the lunch line, but I don’t agree we should charge a whole two dollars for it. Then there are other days that lunch is just plain gross. Every year the school lunch prices just go up. Now wouldn’t someone think that with the more money would lead to adding new food to the menu? Or at least give you more of it? We pay a ridiculous amount of money for very small portions of nasty food. KUTV 2 reports that state nutrition services visited every school in the state of Utah and came out with grades on the lunch program. Jordan School District in Salt Lake City an F while Davis School District got a barely passing C-. I thought it was a good thing we were failing because we might get good food. But the reason they failed was they say the food isn’t healthy enough! The reason they are feeding us small portions of unpleasant food is because it’s healthy! The state decided that they need a more vegan style menu. I wonder how can inspectors can come to schools and get mad because the vending machine purchase rate is too high. People like to eat food worth eating. Lets make it better.

So if you scroll way way way down in my blog list (or just click on the "School Lunch" heading above the essay) this may look a little familiar to you. Well that’s because that’s all it is, just that blog modified to fit the rules. I don’t know if it will make a difference in the world. Whether its better lunch or just letting us keep the vending machines I don’t know. Or maybe it won’t make a difference at all. Maybe I will win the one thousand dollar prize money. That may be good enough for me because then that will buy my all the lunch I want when I can drive to get my own lunch in 8 months instead of relying on school lunch all the time.

2 comments:

Panda Girl said...

Eww! Today I had school lunch and the meat tasted like cardboard! It was nasty :P

Anonymous said...

That's really cool that they are going to publish it! I totally agree that school lunch is gross, nasty, sick, and disgusting, not to mention sticky.